epirus net

Αξιοθέατα, δραστηριότητες, ξενοδοχεία,
ξενώνες & ενοικιαζόμενα δωμάτια στην Ήπειρο.
Uncategorized στην Ήπειρο

The bridge in Grika


The region around the bridge

The bridge is under the today’s village Ampelonas (Povla) at the river of Pavlas (ancient Ksanthos). It is at a distance of 30 km. from Filiates of Thesprotia. It is stone with a big arch and it is leaning on rocks.

It stands still since 1798 and serves all the villages of the region. Before the bridge, many people and animals from the nearby villages had been lost trying to cross the river.

Among those who were lost in the river, there was the monk of the Monastery of Kamitzani who was drifted by the river. The bridge was inaugurated by seven priests in front of all the habitants of the villages of the region and a big feast took place there after the inauguration.