epirus net

Αξιοθέατα, δραστηριότητες, ξενοδοχεία,
ξενώνες & ενοικιαζόμενα δωμάτια στην Ήπειρο.

Θέματα στην κατηγορία ‘Stone-built bridges’

The bridge of Arta

The bridge

The famous bridge of Arta is located at the west side of city of Arta and at a distance of 1 km. from its centre. It is the most famous bridge of many arches in Epirus and bridges the two banks Arachthos river. It is one of the best preservable monuments of Arta. It is famous for its unique architecture but also for the legends which are connected with its construction.

It is still undefinied the year of its construction. There are many different versions. It seems that it had been constructed during the 3rd century B.C., by the king Pyrros and was fulfilled in three periods during the period of Despotate of Epirus. It is elegant, imposing and its arches lean on strong stands.

Its whole construction is admirable. Throughout the years many reconstructions have been done and many addsitions to the existing construction, with the last one in 1612. It is the bridge, of which its difficulty in construction appears in tradition, myths, poetry, painting, music and theatre where is praised the man’s labor for works like this one.

Many charming legends talk about the consturction of the bridge, but the most moving of all is the one that refers to the sacrificε of the builder’s woman. The famous folk song “the bridge of Arta“, which has been a standard for many versions of it throughout the Balkan peninsula, says at its one lyric: “Unless the bridge is haunted by a man, the bridge will never stand still”. The folk tradition from its ancient times says that sacrifices are required for the foundation of difficult works, with the human sacrifice at the top, like in the case of the bridge of Arta.

In 1881 it was the frontier between free Greece and the part of Epirus which was under the Ottoman sovereignty. Close to the bridge there is also the famous plain tree. Under its shadow Ali Passia admired the hanging of everyone who was convented. The folk tradition mentions this fact with the following song “What is going on my poor fellow plain tree and you stand there languishing…

You can visit the bridge daily, every hour of the day.

The bridge in Grika

The region around the bridge

The bridge is under the today’s village Ampelonas (Povla) at the river of Pavlas (ancient Ksanthos). It is at a distance of 30 km. from Filiates of Thesprotia. It is stone with a big arch and it is leaning on rocks.

It stands still since 1798 and serves all the villages of the region. Before the bridge, many people and animals from the nearby villages had been lost trying to cross the river.

Among those who were lost in the river, there was the monk of the Monastery of Kamitzani who was drifted by the river. The bridge was inaugurated by seven priests in front of all the habitants of the villages of the region and a big feast took place there after the inauguration.

Kalogeriko bridge or the bridge of Plakidas

View of the bridge

Kalogeriko bridge

Near the village of Kipoi in Zagori 39 km. from Ioannina, there is the beautiful bridge of three arches. Its name is Kalogeriko because of the wooden one that Roussis from Negades had made it for the habitants to go to the mill. Then the abbot Serafeim from the monastery of Prophet Elias contructed a new stone-built one in 1748.

It also took the name of Plakidas because in 1863 Alex and Andrew Plakidas from Koukouli reconstructed it. In the same year they reconstructed the nearby fountain which has the name: “Fountain of Plakidas“.

In 1912, Eugenios Plakidas gave his money for a new recosntruction. Until 1964 three more reconstructions followed and George Mylonas, minister of the government at this year classified it to the preservable bridges.

The watermill that there was next to the bridge, had also a fulling. The miller’s heirs, sold the watermill to the monastery St. Elias of Vitsa and finally became property of the village of Koukouli in 1851. Nowadays, the mill has fallen and left olny the bridge in the same place.

The bridge of Kamper Agas

The bridge

In the region of eastern Zagori, close to the village of Miliotades, above Zagoritiko river there is the imposing arch stone-built bridge of Kamper Aga. Its length is about 18 metres and its altitude is 5 metres. It owes its name to Kamper Agas who gave his money for its construction. At the old time here there was also the homunymous inn offered a place for rest for the travellers who passed from the region.

The bridge of Politsa in Fortosi

The bridge

In the region of Katsanochoria, near the village of Fortosi and over the wild water of Arachthos rives has been built the beautiful stone bridge of Politsa. It has four arches with its central arch having about 14 metres altitude and 24 metres length.

It was built by builders from Ampelochori, while in 1874 I.Loulis gave his money for the conservation of the bridge. Very close to this beautiful bridge you will find the modern one of today.

The bridge of Kipina

The bridge

Going down from Pramanta of the prefecture of Ioannina to the villages of Christoi – Kalarrytes you will meet the settlements of Kipina on Kalarrytikos river (tributary of Arachthos river). Here it was built the beautiful stone bridge that makes easier the passage to the monastery and to Kalarrytes.

The bridge of Plaka

The bridge of Plaka

View of the bridge

The impetuous Arachthos river, the ancient Inachos was the big obstacle for the transfer of the habitants and the big flocks of the shepherds of the region of Tzoumerka. Many people and animals died in the impetuous river of Arachthos, to the point where flows from its steep gorge, at the location of Plaka in Raftanaioi.

Former attempts for the construction of the bridge failed.

In 1863, on the day of the inauguration of the bridge, it fell into the river-bed of Arachthos. Later, the builder Kostas Mpekas from Pramanta took over its construction and to build it according to his plan. With many fundraisings there were gathered about 187.000 turkish coins and in 1866 te bridge was finally built, an arch bridge of 40 m. length and 20 m. altitude. It is the biggest arch bridge in Epirus. On its edges has also two smaller arches, of 6 m. length. ΕIt is an excellent piece of art, and many admired it and still admire it.

Beside the bridge there is the old Inn, whre during the civil war it was signed the Treaty of Plaka, among the resistance grous od E.D.E.S. and E.L.A.S. so at cease the warfares among them.

The whole transport is done now by a new-constructed bridge, just a little further by the old one, leaving it alone and isolated, but always proud.

The bridge was demolished on February the 1st. in 2015 because of the strong weather effects and the strong rain that stroke the wider area of Epirus. Since then have become many attempts for its reconstruction by the prencict of Epirus with the contribution of the ministry of Culture.

The bridge of Konitsa

The bridge in Aoos river

View of the bridge

Near Konitsa, at the exit of Aoos river, is located the arch stone-built bridge which is one of the biggest bridges in Greece. It has an altitude of 20 metres and length 40 metres. It was built in 1870 by the builder Ziogas Frontzos from Pyrsogianni and with the financement of the banker I. Loulis from Katsanochoria.

Its construction ended in 1871 and cost about 120.000 turkish coins. The former wooden constructions of 1823 and after were drifted by the river. It is remarkable the faxct that its builder Ziogas Frontzos was an illiterate and simple craftsman.

This bridge is indeed a work of art and beauty, excellent constructed and incomprarable to the other tradiotional bridges of the same period. The bridges was recontrructed in 1913 because Tzavit Passas destroyed it when he left the region.

Its bell which hung under its arch, so as to warn the passengers when the string wind blew (it was like a warning bell), was lost during the old years and was replaced by another one in 1975. Under the bridge and at its rights side, there is a beautiful path leading to the monastery of Stomio.

The bridge of Tyria

The bridge of Tyria

Near the village of Seniko and above the water of the river of Tyria that springs by the mountain of Olytsika there is the stone bridge of Tyria. It has two arches, and the altitude of the highest one is about 10 metres and the length of its arch is 14 metres. The smaller one arch has length of 2.5 metres. The year of its construction is still unknown.

The bridge of Voidomatis

The bridge and Vikos gorge

The bridge

The bridge of Voidomatis is located near the village of Kleidonia in the region of Konitsa, where the tributary of Aoos, Voidomatis, flows into the wild and whole green Vikos gorge to the plain of Konitsa.

By the old time the people tried to build the bridge but they failed. Finally, in 1853 was built the beautiful arch stone bridge by Misios.

Under the bridge and at its left side there is a stoned path leading to the gorge of Vikos. You can also see the bridge and Voidomatis by canoying.

The bridge of Noutsos or Kokkoris

View of the bridge

The bridge of Noutsos – Kokkoris

The bridge of Noutsos (or Kokkoris as it is also famous) is located at central Zagori, near the village of Koukouli, at a distannce of 39 km. from Ioannina, at the river of Voidomatis. Noutsos Kontodimos from Vradeto financed the construction of the bridge, which took its name by its benefactor. The sign on a black stone writes on the year of 1750 or 1752 (Lampridis also mentions Moutsos Karamersinis as its constructor in 1768).

It is also famous as the bridge of Kokkoris (or Kokkoros) because, Kokkoros from Koukouli, who had a mill there, disposed in 1910 his money for its reconstruction. Recently, the bridge has been reconstructed once again by the members of the Assocciation of Zagori.

Next to the bridge there is the cave where captain Ntavelis hid with two other footpads. ΑFrom a careless wooden bridge near the bridge of Kokkoris passe the women of Pindos ladened with ammunition and other supplies during the Second World War.

Theogefyro bridge in Kalamas

Theogefyro bridge

After the village of Zitsa, close to the village of Lithino, Kalamas river made a miraculous place. It sculped with its wild water the rock and created the natral made bridge of “Theogefyro” which for centuries made easy the passage of the river for the people. The crossing of the river was not allowed anywhere else becaus of its water. This bridge was inspired Chrysanthi Zitsaia, who in 1956 wrote and publish the book “The legend of Theogefyro”.

Video form “Theogefyro” natural bridge

The bridge of Katogefyro

The bridge of Katogefyro

The bridge of Katogefyro is located under the village of Oraiokastro in Pogoni. It is a small stone bridge that has two unequal arches that bridge the banks of Gormos river. Its constuction dates back to 1889 and is preserved at an excellent situation until today.