epirus net

Αξιοθέατα, δραστηριότητες, ξενοδοχεία,
ξενώνες & ενοικιαζόμενα δωμάτια στην Ήπειρο.
Uncategorized στην Ήπειρο

Monastery of Virgin Mary in Paramythia


The monastery with its belltower


Byzantine bath, close to the monastery

The Monastery of Virgin Mary of Paramythia is in the town of Paramythia of Thesprotia. It is about a temple with a cross-shaped dome and a ceramic external decoration. The monastery was built on the 14th century.

Many things were added at the prinicpal temple with the most recent the belltower of four zones. There is a dooryard with two fountains and cells with an apart entrance. The monastery visited many patients for consolation, that’s why it is called “Virgin Mary of Paramythia”. In th monastery there are also an old Gospel and a brocade epitaph brought by Meteora in 1588. Until 1960 it was a metropolitan church.